Sunday, April 22, 2012

WEEK 2 - Reflections



This week 2 was a week of discoveries, thanks to my colleagues now I have plenty of resources for my teaching journey. Sharing and exchanging ideas, along with the course itself is a rewarding experience that I am planning to SHARE with my peers.
Now talking about the activities I had to accomplish, I realized that when it comes to using the Internet effectively, students face the following difficulties:
They are not able to evaluate the information they read (on the web, not all information is reliable, accurate and true it also could be untrustworthy, incorrect and false).
They cannot distinguish different types of information (there are essays, articles, testimonials, advertisements. In most of the cases they have to refer to the sources to evaluate accuracy or reliability).
They do not know hot really find the information (search engines help a lot into this point and with specific search engines like Sweetsearch this activity is going to be more productive for students. They are not going to waste their time by searching through millions of web sites that most of the time are unreliable. The sites provided there are supposed to be filtered by educators and librarians. The search on Sweetsearch is understandable, safe and accurate. What I liked the most about it, are its additional resources such as sections for teachers and students, arranged by levels.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rottner,

    I also liked SWEETSEARCH. It is designed both for students and for teachers.The fact that this search engine was created by teachers and librarians is a great asset.

    Fátima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rottner,

    We have a wonderful discussion and ideas on Nicent this week,espcially engines which helps us teaching and learning pronunciation. http://teflworldwiki.com/index.php/CALL is very useful.


    regards,

    samira

    ReplyDelete